Celestron Advanced VX 9.25″ EdgeHD Telescope
The 9.25” EdgeHD Advanced VX (AVX) telescope is a specialized instrument designed for astrograph-quality images that sets a new standard in mid-level telescopes. With its EdgeHD optical tube and the sturdy Advanced VX equatorial mount and tripod, this kit provides unparalleled views of the planets, up-close views of the lunar surface (including craters and maria), and stunning deep sky images.
EdgeHD Optical Design
EdgeHD is an aplanatic, flat field Schmidt optical system that produces aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field of view. The optical system reduces more than just off-axis star coma; it provides an astrograph-quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view.
EdgeHD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across the largest imaging sensors available today.
Advanced VX Mount & Tripod
The Advanced VX mount is designed to provide superior performance for smaller telescopes while taking advantage of Celestron’s most advanced technologies: All-Star Polar Alignment, Celestron PWI telescope control software, SkyAlign, and permanently programmable periodic error correction (PPEC).
If you’re an experienced imager, you’ll love taking this portable mount to a dark sky site and enjoying all the conveniences of a larger observatory mount. Or, if you’re new to imaging, Advanced VX will help you get started with the hobby and keep up with your needs for years to come.
Computerized German Equatorial mount – The Advanced VX is the smallest of Celestron’s German equatorial mounts. The computerized GoTo capability automatically tracks objects as they move across the night sky. The Advanced VX mount includes ports for a hand control, an autoguider, and 2 AUX ports for optional accessories. The NexStar+ hand control gives you instant access to all the functions your mount has to offer. With automatic slewing and menu descriptions, astronomers of all skill levels can master this mount in just a few observing sessions. The Advanced VX also has an impressive tripod for its class with 2”-diameter steel tripod legs, providing an extra-wide stance for improved stability.
Payload capacity – The payload capacity for the Advanced VX is 30 pounds. It offers a sturdy platform for the 9.25” EdgeHD optical tube, even when paired with optional accessories like StarSense AutoAlign, Focus Motor, a finderscope, and a camera. Celestron’s payload capacity does not include the weight of the counterweights.
Dual saddle plate – As of early 2019, Advanced VX mounts now include a new dual saddle plate that accommodates both CG-5 and CGE-style dovetails. Switching between the two saddle plates is as simple as moving the hand knobs into a separate set of holes. This means you can use your Advanced VX mount not only with the 9.25” EdgeHD, but virtually any optical tube within Advanced VX’s weight limit. The mount is compatible with Vixen format dovetails 100mm or longer, but not compatible with Losmandy D format plates (regardless of plate manufacturer).
Celestron PWI Telescope Control: Your Ultimate Astronomy Software – All current Celestron computerized telescopes include Celestron PWI (CPWI), the most advanced astronomy software provided with any consumer-grade telescope. Celestron’s experts co-developed CPWI with the engineers at PlaneWave Instruments. The result is an all-in-one solution offering you many of the same features used on PlaneWave’s observatory-class telescopes.
- Graphical planetarium interface with PointXP advanced mount modelling allows you to add 100+ points to your alignment model for the most accurate pointing and tracking possible
- Ideal for remote observatory setups: save and re-load your alignment and park your scope
- Provides a complete ASCOM telescope interface to allow control of the telescope from third party software applications
Starry Night Software – Also included with your purchase is a free download of Celestron’s Starry Night Special Edition Software. This advanced software by Simulation Curriculum offers detailed information about celestial objects and helps you plan your next observing or imaging session. The Special Edition software also includes telescope control via your PC.
The Advanced VX 9.25” EdgeHD comes complete with a 25mm eyepiece, a 1.25” star diagonal, and a 6×30 finderscope. To increase your field of view without sacrificing performance, add the optional EdgeHD reducer lens, bringing your focal ratio down to f/7. An optional Barlow lens can provide additional magnification for high-resolution planetary, lunar, and solar imaging. And, of course, all EdgeHD optical tubes are Fastar-compatible for ultra-fast f/2 wide field imaging. Each EdgeHD tube is fitted with a removable secondary mirror and is opto-mechanically aligned on a laser bench to ensure it is axially symmetric in any configuration.
In addition to EdgeHD’s optimized optical design, the optical tube has been enhanced to make sure you get the most from your optics night after night.
- Mirror clutches – Flexible tension clutches hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift when taking long exposure astroimages. Once focused, the flexible rods allow the mirror to be held in place without putting any force or pressure on the mirror assembly, keeping the image centered in the eyepiece (or on the sensor).
- Tube vents – Cooling vents located on the rear cell allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror. Each vent has an integrated 95-micron micromesh filter guaranteed to let warm air out without letting dust in.
- Focal versatility – EdgeHD is the most versatile imaging telescope available today. At its native f/10, you can achieve the image scale necessary to capture the smallest of deep sky objects. Add the optional reducer lens—custom-designed for the 9.25” EdgeHD tube—and you can increase your field of view without sacrificing optical performance. A Barlow gives you added power for high-resolution planetary, lunar and solar imaging.In addition, all EdgeHD optical tubes are Fastar-compatible, allowing the secondary mirror to be removed and replaced with a third-party lens assembly for ultra-fast f/2 wide field imaging.