Daystar Quark Gemini Chromosphere / Prominence Switchable H-alpha Filter
The Daystar Quark Gemini brings the best contains both Prominence and Chromosphere bandpass filters for instant slide-action switching between either view.
Now, observers can enjoy the best of both options in one easy to use tool with no equipment swapping or refocusing of any kind.
Push the slider arm side to side like in an eye exam to see the broad stroked prominences of wider bandpass, then the high contrast of narrow bandpass.
For use on refractors of F/4 to F/8**, the user needn’t worry about configurations. Just insert in your diagonal, add an eyepiece and view.
The patent pending QUARK* contains a custom Daystar Instruments 4.2X telecentric barlow lens fully optimized in coatings and optical design specifically for the Hydrogen Alpha wavelength. This highly specialized telecentric lens offers superior field flatness.
Exact filter bandpass will vary based on final telescope application, so QUARK* assemblies are qualified with one element to show best prominences and the other to show best surface contrast (chromosphere). No specific FWHM bandpass is designated.
Outreach astronomers can use the prom vs chrom switch to demonstrate each feature with an extra teaching moment about wing shift going on in fast moving prominences. Imagers can use the same switch to create comparison images without the need to exchange equipment or refocus with short lived features.
The fully optimized design eliminates the need for any adapters. It’s all combined in one lightweight eyepiece sized device. The new, compact design configuration eliminates unnecessary components, weight and associated costs. We even reduced power consumption, so the Quark* can now operate all day off a small, palm-sized optional battery pack. Baffles have been added to increase contrast and AR coatings are optimized for the 656nm wavelength.
*The QUARK* assembly is a product of DayStar Instruments, using DayStar Filters’ Fabry Perot etalon technology.
** QUARK Filters may be used at shorter and longer focal ratios than recommended. F-ratios of F/9 and higher will offer a dimmer visual view and may only be bright enough for photographic applications. F-ratios of less than F/4 will be brighter, but also widen the effective FWHMÂ bandpass performance of the QUARK filter.
- Contains TWO separate Fabry Perot Etalon elements which may be shifted safely via push-pull into view.
- A hand-matched pair of narrower (<0.5Å FWHM) and wider (>0.6Å FWHM) etalons shall be SE grade and independently tuneable.
- Ships with male combo 1.25″ or 2.0″ combo eyepiece snouts with safety indent slot directly into your diagonal
- Ships with standard 1.25 female eyepiece drawtube output. Optional interchangeable 2″ and SCT accessories available.
- Brass compression ring to protect eyepiece.
- Uses USB power, 5v 2.0amp
- Includes 90-240VAC wall adapter with international plug adapters.
- Two tuning knobs allow wing shifting +/- 0.5Ã with detents at every 0.1Ã
- LED indicator for power, warming, ready, fault
- 5 year warranty,
- Optional 8-hour battery pack available.
- Integrated, fully baffled 2 element telecentric 4.2X barlow optimized for 656nm
- Integrated 12mm blocking filter
- 22mm clear filter aperture
- Best performance with F/4 – F/8 refractors
- Full disk viewing possible on refractors up to ~450mm focal length refractors
- No aperture limitations. May be used on larger refractors for higher magnification views
- Ships in watertight pelican style equipment case for dust & humidity-free storage.
- Not suited for off-axis application.