SBIG MaxDome II Observatory Dome Control System
The SBIG MaxDome II Observatory Dome Control System provides flexible, fully integrated observatory dome control. Features include:
- ASCOM-Standard dome and telescope interfaces
- Support for Automadome
- Slave dome rotation to your telescope
- Rotation-only and full shutter-and-rotation systems available
- Single or dual shutter operation, with sequencing
- Wireless shutter control – no unreliable sliding contacts
- Direct confirmation of shutter open/closed state
- Safety interlocks automatically close dome upon loss of data from PC
- Park-before-close option to avoid mechanical interferences
- Manual override controls for shutter and rotation control
- Auxiliary auto-close inputs for Boltwood Cloud Sensor or other observatory protection hardware
- Easily adapted to custom or commercial observatory domes
- Directly compatible with Sirius Observatories
- Directly drives 12VDC motors up to 5A. Can operate other motor types through external relays.
- Field-upgradable firmware
A full MaxDome installation includes two identical controller boards. The main board, which controls dome rotation, connects to the controlling PC. A second identical board, riding on the rotating dome and powered by a solar-charged battery (not included), operates the shutters.
A wireless inductive link provides constant communications between the two boards, allowing for full control and status monitoring. This eliminates the need for clumsy and trouble-prone electrical contacts.
MaxDome II Software/Drivers
MaxDome II Software/Drivers and user manual are distributed on a USB stick included with the product. They are also available by download via the Downloads tab on this page.