SBIG STF-4070M, STF-4070C and STF-4070SC
The SBIG STF-4070 camera comes in monochrome (STF-4070M) and two color models. The color models are available with either the standard Bayer Color Filter Pattern (STF-4070C) or the higher sensitivity TRUESENSE Sparse Color Filter Pattern (STF-4070SC). The KAI-04070 Image Sensor is a 4-megapixel CCD in a 4/3″ (21.4 mm diagonal) optical format. Based on the TRUESENSE 7.4 micron Interline Transfer CCD Platform, the sensor features broad dynamic range, excellent imaging performance, and a flexible readout architecture. The TRUESENSE Sparse Color Filter Pattern provides a 2x improvement in light sensitivity compared to a standard color Bayer part.
- Large, High Resolution 4 Megapixel CCD with 7.4 micron pixels
- Fast, Dual Channel Read Out
- Monochrome, color, and sparse color options
- Full Frame, High Res, Low Noise, 16-bit download in 0.25 seconds.
- Electronic shutter for fast exposure times (0.001 sec to 3600 sec.)
- STX/STXL style pin-fin heat sink and 70mm fan
- Exceptional cooling delta greater than -50C with air only
- Sapphire Chamber Window
- Very Low Read noise ~ 9e-
- Very Low Dark Current ~ 0.01e- at -20C
- Antiblooming Protection
- Uses STF 8-Position Filter Wheels and OAG
- Accepts Nikon and Canon EOS lens adapters
KAI-04070 CCD Key Features:
- Available in Monochrome, Bayer Color Pattern or TRUESENSE Sparse Color Filter Pattern
- Progressive scan readout
- Flexible readout architecture
- High frame rate
- High sensitivity
- Low noise architecture
- Excellent smear performance
- Package pin reserved for device identification
Description of the TRUESENSE Sparse Color Filter Pattern.
The TRUESENSE Color Filter Pattern represents a new paradigm for obtaining full-color images from a single image sensor. By adding panchromatic (or “clear”) pixels to the standard red, green, and blue pixels traditionally used for color capture, image sensors can realize a significant increase in light sensitivity – between two and four times compared to standard designs – while retaining overall image quality and color fidelity. Image sensors using this design allow end users to capture better pictures and video under low-light conditions.
In addition to the new color technology, the STF-4070 has been optimized for fast full frame download and maximum cooling in an STF sized package. A high resolution 4 megapixel 16-bit frame will download in about 1/4 second using the dual channel readout mode. Even at this rapid download rate, the read noise remains exceptionally low, about 9e-.
The STF-4070 was developed primarily for the OEM market, particularly for microscopy applications where short exposures and high frame rates made possible by an electronic shutter are more desirable than having a mechanical shutter for automatic dark frames. Because of this, the STF-4070 cooling design is very robust and the camera is capable of a cooling delta greater than -50 degrees C.