Daystar Quark Prominence H-alpha Filter
The Daystar Quark Prominence H-alpha Filter marries high quality components of a telecentric barlow, adapters, snouts and Daystar hydrogen alpha filter into one simple assembly.
Quark* is available in a choice of “prominence” or “chromosphere”.
Exact filter bandpass will vary based on final telescope application, so QUARK* assemblies are qualified to show either prominence or surface (chromosphere). No specific FWHM bandpass is designated. Now observers can buy a filter based on their desired observing goals instead of their budget. Choose fore WIDER prominences with a little surface or MORE surface contrast (Chromosphere) and narrower prominences. Both are available for the same low price!
All DayStar Hydrogen a filter assemblies applied on telescopes over 80mm in aperture need to be used in conjunction with an Energy Rejection Filter.
- 1.25″ or 2.0″ combo eyepiece snouts with safety indent slot directly into your diagonal
- Standard 1.25 eyepiece drawtube output with optional 2″ and SCT accessories available.
- Brass compression ring to protect eyepiece.
- Uses USB power, 5v 1.5amp
- Includes 90-240VAC wall adapter with international plug adapters.
- Tuning knob allows wing shifting +/- 0.5Ã with detents at every 0.1Ã
- LED indicator for power, warming, ready, fault
- 5 year warranty,
- Optional 8-hour battery pack available.
- Integrated, fully baffled 2 element telecentric 4.2X barlow optimized for 656nm
- Integrated 12mm blocking filter
- 21mm clear filter aperture
- Best performance with F/4 – F/8 refractors
- Full disk viewing possible on refractors up to ~450mm focal length refractors
- No aperture limitations. May be used on larger refractors for higher magnification views
- Ships in convenient Twist-Case for safe, dust-free storage.
- Not suited for off-axis application.
For use on refractors of F/4 to F/8**, the user needn’t worry about configurations. Just insert in your diagonal, add an eyepiece and view.
The patent pending QUARK* contains a custom Daystar Instruments 4.2X telecentric barlow lens fully optimized in coatings and optical design specifically for the Hydrogen Alpha wavelength. This highly specialized telecentric lens offers superior field flatness.
The fully optimized design eliminates the need for any adapters. It’s all combined in one lightweight eyepiece sized device. The new, compact design configuration eliminates unnecessary components, weight and associated costs. We even reduced power consumption, so the Quark* can now operate all day off a small, palm-sized optional battery pack. Baffles have been added to increase contrast and AR coatings are optimized for the 656nm wavelength.
*The QUARK* assembly is a product of DayStar Instruments, using DayStar Filters’ Fabry Perot etalon technology.
** QUARK Filters may be used at shorter and longer focal ratios than recommended. F-ratios of F/9 and higher will offer a dimmer visual view and may only be bright enough for photographic applications. F-ratios of less than F/4 will be brighter, but also widen the effective FWHMÂ bandpass performance of the QUARK filter.
||Wing shift +/- 0.5Å in 0.1Å increments.
||Not specified. Prominence units are generally 0.6Å or above, Chromosphere units generally 0.5Å or below.
||F/4 to F/9 refractor telescopes.
Not suited for off-axis (SCT or dob) application.
||Integrated, fully baffled 2 element telecentric 4.3X barlow optimized for 656nm
||Integrated 12mm blocking filter
||20mm clear etalon aperture
||Passes full solar disk for focal lengths under ~450mm.
||None, usable on large telescopes for high magnificationFor apertures over 80mm, suggest UV/IR cut filter
||1.25” snout or 2” snout
||1.25” female drawtube with brass compression ring to protect eyepiece
Optional 2″ and SCT accessories available
||USB power, 5v 1.5amp, female Micro-B connector
Power is required for proper operation
||90-240VAC wall adapter, includes US, UK, Euro and Australian plugs
||” Optional 8-hour battery pack available”
||Yellow: temperature settling
Green: ready to observe, filter on band
Red: fault such as low voltage
||Approximately 5-15 minutes after power up or change of wing shift
||Ambient temperature range 40°-100°F
||55mm diameter x 71mm x 146mm long
In the Box
- Quark Filter
- Wall Adapter
- USB Power Cord
Warranty & Manuals
Daystar 5-Years Warranty
Daystar Quark Flyer
Daystar Quark Manual